Here are some tips to help you store and care for your silk items:
- Storing Flat and Untied: To prevent wrinkles and maintain the shape of your silk items, it's best to store them flat. Avoid hanging silk garments as they can stretch or distort over time. Untie any knots or bows to prevent permanent creases.
- Clean and Dry Storage Space: Choose a clean and dry area to store your silk items. Make sure the storage space is free from moisture, direct sunlight, and strong odors. Moisture can cause silk to mould or deteriorate, while sunlight can fade the fabric's colour.
- Protection from Dust and Dirt: Before storing your silk items, make sure they are clean. Dust and dirt particles can accumulate and potentially damage the fabric over time. If necessary, gently brush off any surface dirt before storage.
- Avoid Contact with Water and Chemicals: Silk is sensitive to water and chemicals. Avoid contact with rain, water, or any liquids that can cause stains or damage the fabric. Additionally, keep silk items away from direct contact with perfumes, hairsprays, and other chemicals that can discolour or degrade the silk fibres.
- Proper Folding Technique: When folding silk items, use a gentle touch to avoid creasing. Fold them loosely to minimize the risk of permanent creases. You can place acid-free tissue paper between folds to prevent friction and protect delicate embellishments if applicable.
- Use Silk Storage Bags or Cotton Pillowcases: Consider using breathable fabric storage bags or cotton pillowcases to store your silk items. These will provide protection from dust while allowing the fabric to breathe. Avoid using plastic bags, as they can trap moisture and cause damage.
- Avoid Prolonged Storage: It's best not to store silk items for extended periods without periodically inspecting and airing them. Occasionally take out your silk items, refold them in a slightly different manner to prevent creases, and let them breathe for a short time.
- Professional Dry Cleaning: When your silk items require cleaning, it's recommended to entrust them to a professional dry cleaner experienced in handling silk. They have the expertise to clean silk without causing damage or discolouration. Always follow the care instructions provided by the manufacturer.
By following these tips, you can help preserve the beauty and lifespan of your silk items, ensuring that they remain in excellent condition for years to come.